The Five Basics
At Communities In Schools we have combined the dozens of daily needs a child should receive in order to be successful in life into several major
areas called "The Five Basics". We believe that every child needs and deserves:
- A one-on-one relationship with a caring adult,
- a safe place to learn and grow,
- a healthy start and a healthy future,
- a marketable skill to use upon graduation, &
- a chance to give back to peers and community.
Our experience has shown us that if these things aren't addressed, kids are going to have a hard time succeeding in school. The first three
in particular need attention early – the seeds of dropping out of school are sown long before students reach their teen years. Children
can't begin to learn if they're convinced that nobody cares about them, that they're worthless and unsafe physically and emotionally. Nor can
hey concentrate on schoolwork if their most basic needs – nutrition, shelter, health care, and the like – aren't being met.